Border Crossing Information

What you need to know about crossing the border between
Blaine, WA and British Columbia, Canada.

Peace Arch Border Crossing

The City of Blaine sits on the international border to British Columbia, Canada. Blaine has two border crossings, the Peace Arch crossing (Douglas Crossing) and the Pacific Highway crossing also known as the Truck Crossing (SR-543). There is also a border crossing from British Columbia into Point Roberts known as the Boundary Bay Crossing.

Border Cams

I-5 @ Peace Arch
I-5 @ Peace Arch
I-5 @ Peace Arch

Hungry and waiting at the border? Check out these area restaurants.

Entering Canada: what is needed.

Currently, everyone from every country that comes to Canada by air, land and sea needs a passport or equivalent travel document. Canadian law requires that all persons entering Canada carry both proof of citizenship and proof of identity. A valid U.S. passport, passport card or NEXUS card satisfies these requirements for U.S. citizens. If U.S. citizen travelers to Canada do not have a passport, passport card or approved alternate document such as a NEXUS card, they must show a government-issued photo ID (e.g. Driver’s License) and proof of U.S. citizenship such as a U.S. birth certificate, naturalization certificate, or expired U.S. passport. Children under sixteen need only present proof of U.S. citizenship. (Please see below for important information concerning re-entry into the United States).

Canadian Border Immigration at Peace Arch Border Crossing

US aliens are required to bring an Alien Registration Receipt Card as proof of residence. Naturalized citizens should bring their naturalization paperwork. A rule of thumb is bring as much identification as possible, the last thing you want is to get stuck at a border crossing because you didn't bring enough ID.

You will be denied entry into Canada if you have any felony convictions, DUI charges, and other major crimes. Minor traffic violations such as speeding, parking, tailgating, etc., don't count. Also, have your car registration ready if asked.

Entering the United States: what is needed.

Currently, everyone from every country that comes to Canada by air, land and sea needs a passport or equivalent travel document. When returning to the United States from Canada, it is very important to note that all U.S. citizens are required to present a valid U.S. passport to enter or re-enter the United States via air. For entry into the United States via land and sea borders, U.S. citizens must present either a U.S. passport, passport card, NEXUS card, Enhanced Drivers License or other Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative (WHTI)-compliant document. The only exception to this requirement is for U.S. citizens under the age of 16 (or under 19, if traveling with a school, religious, or other youth group) who need only present a birth certificate (original, photocopy or certified copy), Consular Report of Birth Abroad, or naturalization certificate.

Welcome To The USA at Peace Arch Border Crossing

PLEASE NOTE: An ID and birth certificate will allow most Americans to travel into Canada, BUT they alone are not good enough to get them back to the United States. Entry in to the United States requires a valid passport. American's should take all of their ID with them including passport to guarantee re-entry back into the United States.  Expect car searches as they have become the norm since 9/11. 

NEXUS Travelers.

The NEXUS program allows pre-screened travelers expedited processing when entering the United States and Canada. Nexus lanes are located at the following land border crossings in Blaine, WA. They are: Peace Arch Park Crossing(I-5 & HWY99), Pacific Highway (Truck Crossing SR543 & HWY15). There is also Boundary Bay Border Crossing in Point Roberts, WA.

Membership in the NEXUS program allows you to reduce your wait times at designated ports of entry by:

- using dedicated processing lanes at land border crossings,
- using NEXUS kiosks when entering Canada,
- using Global Entry kioks when entering the United States, and
- calling a marine telephone reporting center to report your arrival into the United States and          Canada 

Semiahmoo Shore Waterfront Homes in Blaine

Traveling with Children.

Children under age 16 will be able to continue crossing land and sea borders using only a U.S. birth certificate (or other form of U.S. citizenship such as a naturalization certificate). The original birth certificate or a copy may be used. See the Department of Homeland Security's Ready, Set.. Go! for more information on the changing travel requirements.

If you are traveling with children and crossing the border into Canada or the USA, you should:
1. Carry identification for each child.
2. Divorced parents who share custody of their children should carry copies of the legal custody documents.
3. Adults who are not parents or guardians should have written permission from the parents or guardians to supervise the children.

Drayton Harbor Oysters

Traveling with Pets.

Dogs and cats from the U.S. that are at least three months old need signed and dated certificates from a veterinarian verifying that they have been vaccinated against rabies within the last three years. The certificate must clearly identify the animal.

If your dogs or cats are less than three months old, you do not need a certificate of rabies vaccination to enter Canada. However, the animals must be in good health when they arrive. Most pet foods are not allowed to cross the border.

Blaine Birch Bay Computer Repair-360-371-7277

Dealing with Currency.

All physical importations and exportations of currency and monetary instruments equal to or greater than CAN$10,000 or  US$10,000 must be reported to Customs.

Resourceful Links.

 Click on the buttons to view resourceful information when traveling north and south of the border.